Shared Web Hosting Or WordPress Hosting? 449 Views
The difference between Shared Web Hosting and WordPress HostingWhen building a website, one of the most important decisions you should make is, what kind of hosting plan to buy. You will need a web hosting for your website in order to be available online. What’s more, selecting the right option is essential. Two of the most popular options for first-time website owners are Shared Web Hosting and WordPress hosting. Shared Web Hosting is a type of low-cost web hosting, where you share server's space with other websites. In the other hand, WordPress hosting (which can be shared or not) means that the server is optimized for WordPress Websites. In this article, we will walk you through these two hosting options, and explain how to choose a plan that best suits your hosting needs. There are some Advantages and Disadvantages for both options, so let's dig in.
Shared Web Hosting Advantages and Disadvantages
Shared Web Hosting AdvantagesIs Not Limited to WordPress: In a Shared Web Hosting environment, you can install different platforms (CMS's) besides WordPress. For example, you can setup a WordPress or Joomla site or even a Magento based eCommerce site.
Price: A Shared Web Hosting is a few bucks per month cheaper than a Shared WordPress Hosting. But some Web Hosts like HostPapa, charge the same for their WordPress Plans and not more.
Shared Web Hosting DisadvantagesLower Performance for WP Websites: With a Shared Web Hosting account, you don't get the level of performance and feature availability for your WordPress website, since it's not optimized for WordPress.
More Websites on Each Server: A Shared Web Hosting Server is usually more crowded than a Shared WordPress Hosting Server. So, more Security issues and again lower Server Performance.
WordPress Hosting Advantages and Disadvantages
WordPress Hosting AdvantagesWordPress is not just a simple platform to run a blog anymore; over the years, WordPress has evolved in one of the most popular Content Management Systems (CMS) available to users today. 28% of websites around the world currently run on WordPress. Companies of all sizes use it to create their online presence, major news outlets, large businesses, and small businesses alike. Here are the most important key benefits of WordPress Hosting Services:
Optimized For WordPress: Shared WordPress hosting is a web hosting service in which your domain is hosted or served from a WordPress optimized web server.
More Security: A WordPress Hosting Plan is more secure for your WordPress website, because the web server's environment is specialized for WordPress. For example, it enables the hosting provider to quickly apply the latest WordPress core updates on their servers (since all the hosted websites are WordPress based websites).
Suitable for Development Environment: With a WordPress hosting plan, most of the web hosting providers are allowing you to stage your development, which means you can test all the changes you make before pushing it live.
WordPress Hosting DisadvantagesWordPress Based: In a WordPress Hosting Plan, you are only allowed to use WordPress. Hence, in case you need to setup Joomla in your hosting account, it's not possible with a WordPress hosting plan, and you are only allowed to setup WordPress based websites.
Price: Most web hosting companies charge a few bucks per month more for their WordPress optimized plans than their Shared Web Hosting plans, but there are a few like HostPapa, which offer their Optimized WordPress Hosting Services exactly the same as their shared hosting plans, even with all the added WordPress features included. They even offer more than some web hosts like A2 Hosting! (comparing to A2 Hosting's Managed WordPress). e.g. You can only have 1 website on a 10GB SSD space with A2 Hosting's Managed WordPress 1-Site Plan at $11.99 per month. While you can host two WordPress Websites on 100GB of Enhanced SSD drives and have access to all the features as A2 Hosting's Managed WordPress 1-Site Plan at a much lower price at only $3.95 per month!
Other than these two (one, if you opt for HostPapa's WP Plans), there are not many disadvantages, in fact, your WordPress hosting provider will be able to support you better with all the WordPress related queries.
- If you have a non WordPress website, you should definitely go for a simple Shared Web Hosting plan.
- If you want to have WordPress and non WordPress Websites on a single host, again you should opt for a simple Shared Web Hosting plan.
- And finally if you want to have all the support, features, security patches and optimization for your WordPress website(s), we strongly recommend you to opt for an Optimized WordPress Hosting Plan.
You can even have Unlimited number of WP websites plus Unlimited SSD Storage and Unmetered bandwidth, with their "WP Business" Plan and even then pay exactly half the price of A2 Hosting's simplest plan which is 1-Site Plan.
Here are some of the features of HostPapa's Award-Winning Optimized WordPress Hosting Plans
- Hassle-free, pre-installed WordPress hosting
- Enhanced WordPress caching, speed and performance
- Stay protected from threats with built-in WordPress security and monitoring.
- 24/7 WordPress expert support via live chat, telephone and email in four languages.
- Free domain registration.
- Free 30-minute, one-on-one training session with one of the HostPapa's PapaSquad team members.
- Free domain transfer and WordPress migration.
- 30-Day money-back guarantee
- BBB Accredited - A+ rating
- Minimum 32GB RAM and 32-Core CPU per server
Other features include, but not limited to (Available with all plans)
Optimized performance1. Get Started Building Fast: Zero-click WordPress installation! Start building your website right away with the latest optimized version of WordPress and 100+ free professional themes from Jetpack.
2. Lightning Fast WordPress Caching: Google loves fast loading websites. With HostPapa's enhanced content caching, your website will load faster than ever.
3. Global Speed and Performance: The free Cloudflare Content Delivery Network makes your website load even faster by caching your content locally around the globe.
4. Get More Website Visitors: Get more visitors with JetPack's marketing features: automated social media posting and scheduling. Plan in advance and reach your audience at a time that works best for them.
Cutting Edge Security5. Free SSL Certificate: Keep your website visitors safe. Your WordPress plan comes with a free Let's Encrypt SSL certificate.
6. Malware Auto-Detect and Removal: State-of-the-art security software crawls the servers and your website, keeping you safe from threats. (Included with WP Business Pro Plan)
7. Advanced Firewall: The ultimate in security - add an optional Web Application Firewall and stop malicious traffic before it reaches you!
8. Jetpack Security Features: With Jetpack you get the ultimate security toolkit for your WordPress site. It prevents unwanted intrusions with effective brute force attack protection, malware scanning, and spam filtering.
Top-Notch Reliability9. An Optimized WordPress Experience: HostPapa's finely tuned WordPress optimized servers offer your website improved reliability, stability and security - an ideal experience for your visitors.
10. Automatic WordPress Updates: HostPapa automatically updates WordPress to the latest version, keeping you safe and secure with the latest security patches and performance upgrades.
11. Automated WordPress Backup from JetPack: Even if disaster strikes, your website, all your content and design, will be backed up and easily restored with JetPack's backup feature. (Included with WP Business Pro Plan)
12. 99.9% Uptime Guarantee: HostPapa's 99.9% server uptime guarantee ensures that your website will always be online for your visitors.
How HostPapa stacks up against the competitors?Below, you can see how HostPapa's WP Business Hosting Plan stacks up against some of the famous competitors like GoDaddy, WPengine and bluehost. The comparison is very clear, hence does not need any further explanation.
Comparison based on WordPress Plans
What is JetPack?JetPack Enhances your WordPress performance and security and takes your WordPress website to another level, which comes free with all three HostPapa's Optimized WordPress plans. With Jetpack, your WordPress website will be faster and more secure, and is complete with a host of tools that will amplify your WordPress webmaster skills. These Jetpack features are pre-installed with HostPapa's Optimized WordPress plans.
- With Jetpack you will supercharge your website with faster load times, which Google takes into consideration when ranking your page.
- Your website will get automatic defense against WordPress hacks, malware, spam, data loss, and downtime by using Jetpack security tools.
- Jetpack’s professionally designed themes enhances the look of your website, rich content, and image tools.
- Your WordPress website gets extra security features, such as secure logins and protection from brute force and denial of service attacks.
- Jestpack's automated marketing tools, such as automated social sharing and content posting puts a spark into your marketing efforts.
Published : Tue 09 Jun 2020
Updated : Wed 02 Sep 2020
Updated : Wed 02 Sep 2020